The new Hungarian law relating to Brexit
The new Hungarian law relating to Brexit has now been published. Hereby we are sharing a summary of how this law impacts UK citizens:
For UK citizens and their third country citizen relatives, due to Brexit, for residence and employment procedures started after 1st January 2021 – with the exception of circumstances listed below – Immigration compliance laws related to Non-EU/EEA citizens shall be applied.
Registration cards, permanent residence cards
UK citizens’ registration cards, permanent residence cards, third country relatives’ residence cards and permanent residence cards are considered to be valid until end of next year, 31st December 2021.
UK citizens and their third country citizen relatives holding a valid travel document, and a registration card, residence card or permanent residence card may apply for a national settlement (permanent residence) permit in a simplified procedure during the course of 2021.
The following conditions are not investigated during the application:
- place of residence and income
- health insurance
- uninterrupted three-year prior residence
- one-year stay (as a supported ancestor)
- two-year marriage with a Hungarian citizen (for spouse)
- previous Hungarian citizen
- minor child of settled person or refugee
- settlement being in harmony with the interest of Hungary
Those applications where the applicant’s residence threatens public or national security or are under entry or stay ban, or ISIS warning notification about them in the police system, will be rejected.
- Same applies if the applicant provides false data, makes untrue statements, or deceives the authority.
- Citizens having a criminal record will not receive a settlement permit either.
- Adjoint authorities participating in the decision-making procedure must provide their opinion within 15 days.
Good news for British citizens who can credibly prove that they were living in Hungary prior to 1st January 2021, but do not hold a registration card yet. They may still request a national settlement permit.
Residence permit for employment
UK citizens having an employment relationship in Hungary prior to 31.12.2020, if the employment relationship is still existing at the time of submitting the request, and if their place of residence or accommodation is outside of Hungary, may request a residence permit for employment without the investigation of the following conditions:
- accommodation in Hungary
- financial cover
- health insurance/cover
The above is applicable to those, who had been conducting a private enterprise in Hungary, allowing them a residence permit for gainful purposes.
The above two types of requests may be submitted until 31st March 2021.
For further information please, contact us at the following
Phone number: +36 1 278 5680
Email address: [email protected]
or contact your local Inter Relocation consultant.